The Library grants the following borrowing privileges to serve the research and information needs of students. Library users may borrow books and audiovisual materials from the in-house collection and obtain items through interlibrary loan. Reasonable limits are set to ensure availability of resources for all members of the college community. There is a limit of 30 items per student, which includes all loans and active requests. Users are responsible for all items checked out on their account. Failure to abide by these policies may result in loss of borrowing privileges.
Loans & Renewals
Books from the In-House Collection
- The loan period lasts from the date of check-out until the first day of your followingprogram residency.
- Books may not be renewed except for students entering a final semester of study or students on extension.
- Students enrolled in Plainfield based programs must return all items to the Eliot D. Pratt Library.
- Students enrolled in Port Townsend based programs may return items on loan from the in-house collection during their local residency week in Port Townsend.
Audiovisual (AV) Materials from the In-House Collection
- AV materials may be borrowed for 4 weeks at any time during the semester.
- The library reserves the right to recall items from the AV collection duringthe loan period.
- AV materials may not be renewed.
- Students are reminded to package all audiovisual materials soundly to prevent damage in shipping.
Materials Obtained through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Requests for Interlibrary loans are accepted throughout the program semester dates.
- The loan period and any restrictions are determined by the lending library.
- Materials obtained through interlibrary loan cannot be renewed.
- All materials loaned through ILL must be returned to the Eliot D. Pratt Library by thedue date as specified on the item. It may not be returned directly to the lending library.
- The library staff will handle all requests and returns. Individual borrowers should not contact the lending library directly.
- The library does not accept ILL requests from students after their semester end date. Students who are enrolled in “Between Semester Study” or have been granted an extension are exempted and may make interlibrary loan requests during this time period.
Shipping of Material
- During residency weeks students enrolled in Plainfield based programs check out materials in person and are responsible for transportation/shipping of items as needed. The library does not provide shipping services for students who are on the Plainfield campus in residency.
- After the residency week, students who live at a distance may request materials to be sent to a mailing address within the 50 United States and Territories, Canada or Mexico. This request option is available throughout the program semester dates and ends on the last day of the semester. The following student groups may request and
- receive additional items, including interlibrary loans, after the end of the semester.
- Students who plan to enter the final semester of study on the next upcoming registration date.
- Students who are enrolled in “Between Semester Study”.
- Students who have been granted an extension.
- The library pays shipping cost for mailings to students.
- Students are responsible for returning library materials on time and at their own expense, and should be aware that ILL materials are generally checked out for short loan periods.
- It is strongly recommended that all shipped packages be trackable and insured. The insurance serves as protection should the loaned materials be lost or damaged en route. The tracking number helps establish if/when the materials were shipped, shipping time, and where materials were lost if that is the case.
- Materials obtained through ILL will not be sent to addresses outside of the continental United States.
- Alternative arrangements for shipment of library materials to international addresses can be made depending on individual circumstances and needs. Lost, Damaged or Overdue Materials
Reminders & Notices
- Students who withdraw or are withdrawn by the College during the semester must return their library materials immediately. They will receive a notice pertaining to their library account.
- All other students will receive courtesy reminders sent via Goddard email two business days after the due date. A final notice will be sent one week after the courtesy reminder.
- Graduating students must settle their library accounts before graduating.
Bills for Materials from the In-House Collection
- For each unreturned or damaged book or AV item, students will be assessed a $20 non-refundable processing fee and a $40 (or actual cost, whichever is higher) refundable replacement fee. No refunds will be given after one year from billing date. Library bills will be sent to Student Accounts.
Bills for Interlibrary Loan Materials
- For each unreturned or damaged item obtained through ILL, students will be assessed a $20 non-refundable processing fee and a $50 (or actual cost, whichever is higher) refundable replacement fee. No refunds will be given after 6 months from billing date. Library bills will be sent to Student Accounts.
Eliot D. Pratt Library Borrowing Policy: Students (PDF Version, 20 KB)